About Ningiu

Ningiu is the Greenlandic word for grandmother, since I'm part Greenlandic and because handicraft reminds me of my grandmother and mother I find the name appropriate.


tirsdag den 21. april 2009

Pondweed quilt


First of all thank you for all the kind comments on my entry to the quilt festival; it really makes me smile to read them.


I finished the nine-patch quilt and wanted to show it.




When I finished the nine-patch blocks I wasn’t totally satisfied with it. So inspired be this quilt, I cutted up the blocks and made it into a disappearing nine-patch.



The border is slightly darker blue than the ones used in the blocks; the binding is made of the leftovers.


The back is pieced of the original fabric and green Moda marble



It is the first time I’ve tried free motion quilting, and I’m quite satisfied with the result. Thanks to oh fransson and crazy mom quilt for their tutorials and explanations. It is also the first time I finished the binding in hand; it takes an awful lot longer, but also looks so much better..


I think the quilt resembles a pond deep in the forest with waterlillys and pondweed. Or maybe it’s more like a lawn with small puddles bathed in sunshine….Sorry if I get carried away, I’m just very happy with the outcome of the quilt.



Now if you will excuse me, I’ll go en assemble some more quilts.
Isa

Ingen kommentarer: